Last night as I lay in bed I saw something shine briefly on my headboard. Okay just a fluke, my eyes playing tricks on me. Then my eyes were closed and I saw it again! I turned over in bed to see the time, and I saw the shine at my back door! Someone was roaming around outside my house with a flashlight! I got up and walked into the living room. What was I going to do if it WAS someone outside my rural house with a flashlight? Give them a blanket and pillow? Offer them my robe? I could see the alpacas in the beam of the security light sitting cushed on their chests, kind of like a cat. They weren't concerned that there was a strange entity roaming around the house with a flashlight! Then I saw lightning. duh.


We worked the yearling girls today. We put halters on them and walked them around the paddock. I was leading our bay black "Ebony". She's had a halter on before and didn't get the hang of it. But today I think she figured it out. I gave her enough lead that she could either keep it slack or tight, but she had to stay by me. Her mother watched proudly saying, "That's MY girl"! She started to cush. I firmly held the halter and she did not cush. What a milestone! She looked me in the eye and said "Now I understand what you want from me, and it's not that bad". We walked back toward the shed after a very good learning session. I removed the halter and she walked away. But not before throwing her back leg out for one good kick. Thankfully she didn't make contact. That would have left a bruise. I learn from these animals. They have taught me patience, perseverence, and how to dodge a kick!

I changed chicken feed a couple weeks ago and the chickens revolted! They have only laid about three eggs all week. I ask them what the deal was! You know what they said? Cluck. What did I expect? Excuses?


Trapper is earning his keep! Hubster found three dead mice on the floor in front of his work bench. Trapper plays with the mice before he goes in for the kill. I don't care how he does it, as long as he doesn't puke them back up. That would do it for me. Trapper would be a house cat. Rocky and Trapper play. Anytime I've seen a dog and cat in the same household they kept a respectful distance from each other. But not these two. I've seen Trapper's entire head inside Rocky's mouth! Then Rocky will roll over on his back and Trapper will get on top of his chest and nip at his fur! But they don't hurt each other!?

Leaves are starting to turn red on the maple trees in front of our house. The bugs are almost gone. Rocky and I went for a walk last evening. It was nice not having to swat mosquitos or watch out for spider webs. But I always walk with a shovel. You just never know what other animals have decided it's a nice evening to walk around in the country! ...farm living is the life for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment