This is one of those evenings when I can sit and not feel guilty that I'm not doing something productive. Because as you know a blog is FUN! It has been raining pups and kittens all afternoon and I think its a great time to type and think. One of our grandsons was here this evening for a little birthday party. For his birthday he wanted a car from Wal Mart "that only cost a dollar"! Grandpa talked him into some lottery tickets too and he won $17. The guy is LUCKY!


This is a pic of our alpaca Joy with her daughter Ebony. Joy is one of our unpregnant alpacas. She had this name before she came to us and sometimes doesn't live up to it. Last spring when we tried to breed her to our brown male, she went alpaca ballistic! She ran. She screamed. She tried to jump the fence. She knocked me down trying to get away! (Nary a scratch on this old girl). So okay, that didn't work out well. Anyone that knows alpacas would say, "she is already pregnant", but she hadn't been with a male! I was a little scared about ever doing this animal breeding thing again (remember I am a city girl)! I was ready to pay someone! But yesterday I got a bright idea to let the two of them out in the field by themselves. They could just stay there until she was pregnant! Free to do what nature intended. I swear they were skipping as they ran to the middle of the paddock. She cushed immediately! They bred for thirty minutes. And again, later for twenty minutes. Yes I timed them! She even nuzzled his knee! Later they walked on opposite sides of the paddock occasionally glancing at each other, like they were in a singles bar. I think I heard the "Bee Gees" playing! (No wait, I'm confusing that with my own 1970's experiences in a singles bar, so sorry, could be dementia). Anyway, now it is raining and it may be days before I get her back to her girl mates. But I think she's okay with that....farm living is the life for me. Sanetha

No comments:

Post a Comment