June 22, 2009 My first blog!

My first blog!



We share our little bit of the country with 11 alpacas, 9 chickens, 7 chinese golden pheasants and the obligatory dog. Sometimes the things I think they say to me are worth repeating. Like when I pick up to the tail of a soon to deliver pregnant alpaca and she turns her head around and looks at me and says, "WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT"! Or when we are trying to get a hen off her clutch of non-fertilized eggs and she flaps her wings at me as if to say "YOU HOME WRECKER!! I have a garden I am struggling with. I try not to use chemicals on it only hard work.



I am really a former city girl and I sometimes find myself in over my head. I have ran outside, at night, in my nightgown, to the alpaca boys paddock to break up a fight between the boys only to find they have instantly stopped and are just looking at me with smirks on their faces. Last night I cleaned eggs out of the pheasant pen. Thinking I would bring in the eggs for the dog, (he likes an egg on his food) I put them on the tailgait of the truck, accidently cracking one. I walked away and was looking at the garden and came back and something smelled horrid! My husband says "you better bury those eggs" I gladly dug the hole and buried them deep.

In the beginning of our alpaca adventure , we only had one small paddock for three or four animals. We had pregnant girls in with teenage boys. I was inside when one boy tried to... , with our pregnant female. I started screaming at him, and trying to pull him off her without endangering our girl! The neighbors heard my screams and came running thinking I was in some kind of trouble. They barred the door and I got hold of him, haltered him, and walked him to his own man cave. We now have the boys area and the girls area.



So anyway this is my first blog. I'm excited about sharing my country lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment