I love thunderstorms!

Yeah I know, it must be a pathetic life when the most exciting, heart stopping, adrenalin pumping, sweaty hands thing in my life is a thunderstorm. But I am a thunderstorm lover from way back. 

My mother sat me by the front door of our 1960's home to watch a storm. I told the lightning  "Fundew, you quit taking pictures of me!"  So my mother was  the early encourager of my fascination with thunderstorms.  I have enjoyed some really fun moments associated with thunderstorms!

When I was a young girl my mother was single and worked hard to provide for us.  My younger sister and I were at home by ourselves and I saw a tornado "watch"  come across the television. I took my sister, our dog and cat, our dolls, and anything else we could carry across the street to  the shelter.  The people that owned the shelter told us it was just a watch and we should go home.  Felt kind of stupid afterwards.  As a young girl I didn't know the difference between a tornado watch and a tornado warning!?  (Some adults in 2011 don't know the difference).

I was a young mother when a thunderstorm came through the trailer park we lived in.  I was watching the storm coming from the middle of our little street, when the young mother across the street also came out to watch the storm.  We struck up a conversation and have remained life long friends.  We had so much in common as young mothers.  We were inseparable for years.  We could still call each other up and have a conversation and feel like we hadn't been apart.

My daughter and I lived with my parents while I was in nursing school.  Our cousin Claudia was visiting while her husband was in the hospital.  She had been in a tornado in southeast Kansas and was already a little flinchy about storms.  A tornado warning sent us to the basement where we slid my daughter under a desk in the basement.  

Hubster and I belonged to a historical reenactment group. We were camping at a rendevous  in Larned, Ks. for a week long event. A storm came through and sent the entire encampment running. My daughter and I  scampered to whatever shelter we could find to escape hail, or whatever spinning wind we couldn't see. Teepees were flying, dust was clouding our eyes, skirts flew in the wind. We still talk about that storm.
Hubster and I were in our bass boat on Kaw Lake in Oklahoma when a storm sent us speeding across the lake. I had a ball cap on and it was raining so hard  I could taste my hat!  The next morning was cool and clear.  We quietly trolled the banks and another boat came by and ask if we were from Wellington and did we know there was a bad hail storm there last night?  We sped back to the marina, put the boat on the trailer and beat it home.  Found the windows bashed in on our house and our car.  I can still taste that ball cap.

During the summer we had a ladies only pre 1840's rendevous. We reenacted what we imagined was a ladies encampment.  During one such weekend a storm came through with softball size hail and all the ladies hid in one outhouse.  Have YOU ever seen ten ladies in an outhouse?  We came back out and finished our wonderful gathering without a hitch, except for lots of laughing about all of us in an outhouse.

Last night I came home from work and saw the thunderstorm building to the east of the lane, and I was DISAPPOINTED! Thought maybe we would see "lightening and thunder and hail, OH MY! But all we got was wind. sigh. Yes, the lane has had hail damage, wind damage, water damage, lightning damage. But I still get a thrill when I see the black clouds building to the west!



And for the best--- Hubster says the morning after he dies the newspaper will read "HUSBAND DIES WHILE DRAGGING WIFE OFF FRONT PORCH WHERE SHE WAS WATCHING STORMS--WIFE LIVES!

...farm living is the life for me!  Sanetha

No comments:

Post a Comment