First Date - For Valentines Day

My husband said to me once "you know me, I meet someone for the first time and I blab my entire life story"! Yes, and I love him for that.

My husband and I met on a blind date, organized by his friend and my neighbor. My neighbor ask if I would be interested in a date with her son's friend. I was single. I had been on blind dates with brothers, co-workers, friends of friends. None had been memorable. She recommended him highly so I said yes.

I gave the neighbor my number. He called for a date a few days later. We were going to a supper club and he would pick me up. It's funny to look back on that date from my perspective and now know his perspective. (His perspective: He likes to say he lost it when I opened the door. He says he fell in love with me at that moment. My perspective: I thought he was older than anyone I had ever dated.)

He ordered a drink and I ordered a Tom Collins. (His perspective: I wasn't much of a drinker. My perspective: I prefer beer, but didn't know the names of any cool drinks except T.C.) We talked about the weather, nice. Sports, I didn't know Superbowl from World Series. Then we started talking about camping. I told him my daughter and I like to camp. We take our tent to the lake. Picnic and sleep in sleeping bags and fish. He told me he belonged to a historical re-enactment group and sleeps in a teepee. (His perspective: This girl really is interested in me because she did her homework on what would impress me! My perspective: Shouldn't tell him about being alone at the lake. Just in case!)

He kissed me goodnight and I kept my hands in my pockets (he's mentioned that a few times over the years.) We dated for a few weeks then I broke it off. Today he probably would be considered a stalker. He just thought he was biding his time until I changed my mind. He would ride his bike down my street early in the morning and wait for my daughter to start off on her bike and ride with her to school. He thought he could get to the mother through the daughter. (I gave him points for that one). On my birthday he gave me chocolates and a "friendly" card. My mother sat me down and persuaded me to give him another try. So a few days later I called him to see if he wanted to come to my house for dinner. In all my years of dating, I had never called a guy for a date. He said he had other plans! I was ticked. A few nights later he called to see if I wanted to go to a football game and I said I had other plans (couldn't let him get one up on me)! The next night he called and said he would like to take me to dinner and he would pick me up in a half hour. After that we were pretty inseperable. Sometime I'll have to tell you about the trip to Mexico. Or my first rendevous. Or our first Thanksgiving. He is just a person that gives unconditional love. We got married a year and a half later. Now we've been married nearly twenty years. Eleven alpacas, eight chickens, six grandchildren, in-laws, a cat, a dog and a farm. I'm sure glad I didn't turn down a blind date!

...farm living is the life for me. Sanetha

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure glad you didn't turn down the blind date too. I can't imagine this family without that guy in it. You have me to thank too, don't you? Luv ya, MOM

    ReplyDelete