Canning, Roasting, Scooping in the Country

I think people that live in the country are supposed to do certain things. Like grow zucchini, have a cat, ride a tractor, feed animals, do chores and can. It was high time (people in the country say "high time") I canned. I had never "canned" anything in my life. I've sacked, stored, boxed, bagged, stuffed and tossed, but not canned. There are these little bags of herbs for canning that you can buy at Wally world. Then just boil the jars, cook the juice, cut the vegetables and CAN! I canned bread and butter pickles. Shouldn't they be sour? They were so sweet my little sour glands in my jaws tingled! I couldn't eat them. They just look so country sitting on my island, I'll just leave them there.

One of the many great things about living in the country is having wienie roasts. Cooking wienies over a charcoal grill loses something. But a FIRE! that's different. We all had long skewers and a roaring fire. We roasted marshmallows and made s'mores too! My daughter and her children came over. They live in Medicine Lodge, Ks. (Isn't that a neat name for a town in Kansas?). I told her about the previously mentioned bread and butter pickles. She thought her husband might like them, (gosh I'll miss him). Our other two grandchildren live in our own town. We can just about see them when we want. So we watched the fire die down and enjoyed the peace and quiet. Until the skeeters moved in.

The grandhildren spent the night with us. and Sunday morning I had chores to do. I told the children of my child, the objects of my dreams, my visions of the future, that I needed help scooping poop. If we got the poop scooped early enough I would take them to the swimming pool. They agreed to help! Cheerfully we scooped, raked, shoveled and bagged the inside of the chicken coop. These boys haven't scooped alot of poop. I heard THIS IS SO GROSS! IT STINKS! and lots of little boy bathroom humor. But the best of the day was yet to come! We went to the alpaca paddock to scoop poop. By this time the only ones that had really stuck with the plan were the two oldest boys Levi & Peyton. We opened the gate and brought the wheel barrow, rakes and shovels in. Peyton says, "Grandma you know what the alpacas are saying"? "No Peyton, what?"I replied. "Their saying, where have you been? We've been waiting for room service for three days! " I cracked up. I laughed so hard I cried. Love them grands! ...farm living is the life for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment